This is a four year degree course approved by the govt. of Karnataka and is affiliated to R.G.U.H.S., Bangalore. The Course is recognized by INC (No. 18-15/1704-INC) and KNC (No. 1157-4 : 2004).
The main purpose of the undergraduate degree in Nursing, is to provide an educational programme, through which graduates will be prepared to assume the responsibility in the primary, secondary and tertiary care of people, as professional nurses.
The Programme is geared to the health needs of the country, community individual and will serve as a basis for advanced study and specification in Nursing. It will assist nurses in their personal and professional development so that they make their maximum contribution to society as individuals, citizens and nurses.
It is expected that nursing graduates to be capable of teaching, supervising and of giving appropriate nursing and health care in different settings.
The programme is designed
- to provide a balance of professional and general education.
- to enable a student to become a professional nurse practitioner, who has self-direction and is a responsible citizen.
Through planned and guided experience, students are provided opportunities to develop:
- A broad concept of the fundamental principles of nursing care based on sound knowledge and a satisfactory level of skill, in providing care to people of all ages in a community or an institutional setting.
- Understanding of the application of principles from the physical, biological, social and behavioural science for assessing health status.
- Ability to investigate health care problems systematically.
- Ability to work collaboratively with members of allied disciplines towards attaining optimum health for all members of society.
- Understanding principles of teaching and their application at their work situation.
- Understanding of fundamental principles of administration and organization of nursing services.
- Understanding of human behavior and appreciation of effective interpersonal relationship with individual, families and group.
- Appreciation of the various factors affecting the community's social, health and welfare programmes.
- Appreciation of professional attitudes necessary for leadership roles in nursing.
- Appreciation of social and ethical obligations to society.
- The candidate should have passed in the Pre-university examination / PDC / 10+2 or any other equivalent examination as recognized by RGUHS, Bangalore with a aggregate of 45% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English for general candidates. The minimum marks to be secured by SC, ST and other backward categories is 40% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English taken together.
- The minimum age for admission shall be 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
- Candidate should be medically fit.
Admission is subject to approval by R.G.U.H.S., Bangalore.
A Request for the prospectus and application form should be made to the Secretary along with a D.O. for ~ 300/- only drawn in favour of Masood Educational and Charitable Trust (R) payable at Mangalore. Fees once paid will not be refunded, The following documents duly attested should be enclosed with the application along with originals.
- Six Photostat copies of the statement of the marks of the qualifying examination. 10+2/ PDC / Pre-University Examination as recognised by R.G.H.U.S., Bangalore.
- Six Photostat copies of the S.S.L.C. certificate showing the date of birth.
- Six latest passport size coloured photos. One affixed to the application form and five extra.
- Six Photostat copies of conduct certificate from the head of the Institutions last attended.
- One copy of medical fitness certificate from a Registered Medical Practitioner.
- Non Karnataka Candidates and Non-Resident Karnataka candidates claiming Karnataka Domicile should produce Six Photostat copies of domicile certificate.
- Six Photostat copies of Transfer Certificate.
- Six Photostat copies of Migration Certificate.
All original certificates submitted for admission will be retained by the college, until successful completion of the course, and returned after settlement of all dues.
Students, who have completed their qualifying examinations outside Karnataka should apply for an eligibility certificate to R.G.U.H.S., Bangalore in a prescribed format along with a D.D. of Rs. 1,000/- for non - Karnataka and Rs. 5,000/- for N.R.I. students drawn in favour of Registrar, R.G.U.H.S., Bangalore, for obtaining the eligibility certificate.
METHOD OF SELECTION
After scrutinizing the application received from the candidates, eligible candidates will be called for an interview. The right of selection is reserved with the management.
The Candidates are required to produce the original records and certificates at the time of interview. No candidate will be admitted to the school unless he/she is found physically fit to receive training.
The course of study leading to B.Sc. Nursing (Basic) degree comprises four academic year.1st Year Basic B.Sc. Nursing
Sl.No. Subject Theory Hours Practical / Clinical Hours Hours 1 English 60 - - 2 Anatomy 60 - - 3 Physiology 60 - - 4 Nutrition 60 - - 5 Biochemistry 30 - - 6 Nursing Foundation 265 + 200 450 - 7 Psychology 60 - - 8 Microbiology 60 - - 9 Introduction to Computer 45 - - 10 Kannada 30 - - 11 Library work / Self Study - - 50 12 Co-curricular activities - - 50 Total 930 450 100 TOTAL HOURS = 1480 HRSIInd Year Basic B.Sc. Nursing Sl.No. Subject Theory Hours Practical / Clinical Hours Hours 1 Sociology 60 - - 2 Pharmacology 45 - - 3 Pathology 30 - - 4 Genetics 15 - - 5 Medical Surgical Nursing (Adult including geriatrics) 210 720 - 6 Community Health Nursing 90 135 - 7 Communication and Educational Technology 60 + 30 - - 8 Library work / Self Study - - 50 9 Co-Curricular activities - - 35 Total 540 855 85 TOTAL HOURS = 1480 HRSIIIrd Year Basic B.Sc. Nursing Sl.No. Subject Theory Hours Practical / Clinical Hours Hours 1 Medical - Surgical Nursing (Adult including geriatrics)- II 120 270 - 2 Child Health Nursing 90 270 - 3 Mental Health Nursing 90 270 - 4 Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing 90 180 - 5 Library work / Self Study - - 50 6 Co-curricular activities - - 50 Total 390 990 100 TOTAL HOURS = 1480 HRSIVth Year Basic B.Sc. Nursing Sl.No. Subject Theory Hours Practical / Clinical Hours 1 Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing - 180 2 Community Health Nursing -II 90 135 3 Nursing Research & Statistics 45 *Project 4 Management of Nursing Services and Education 60 + 30 - Total 225 315 TOTAL HOURS = 540 HRS
*Project Work to be carried out during clinical training.IVth Year Basic B.Sc. Nursing - Clinical Training
Sl.No. Subject Practical (in Hours) In Weaks 1 Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing 240 5 2 Community Health Nursing -II 195 4 3 Medical Surgical Nursing (Adult and geriatric) 430 9 4 Child Health 145 3 5 Mental Health 95 2 5 Research Project 45 1 Total 1150 24